Historian Rutger Bregman found a way to end poverty. Obviously we had to ask him how!
HERE ARE 7 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD WATCH THIS VIDEO ↑
1. Everything you think you know about poverty is wrong
“The left often says ‘oh, we should pity the poor and help them to make better decisions,’ and then the right says 'well, poverty that’s just a lack of character'.”
2. The real experts on the poor's lives are the poor themselves
“We should get rid of that whole industry of paternalist bureaucrats when we can simply hand over their salaries to the poor they’re supposed to help.”
3. When we lift people out of poverty
“What you actually get is an explosion of energy, ambition and creativity.”
4. The people who do the most valuable work: the teachers, the cleaners, the nurses, we pay them the least...
“Those who don’t do very valuable work or actually even destructive work like lawyers, the consultants, the bankers, we pay them a lot.”
5. A universal basic income will be a game changer
“We’ll move towards an economy which the wages will much better reflect the social value of the jobs that we do. An economy in which the cleaners may even earn more than the bankers.”
6. Jobs are for robots. Life is for people!
“The day a robot takes your job should be the best day of your life.”
7. Every millstone of civilisation was once a utopian fantasy
“The end of slavery, democracy, equal rights for men and women. So, we can do this again. we just need to come up with these new utopian, crazy, radical visions and then fight for them.”