Our mission is to provide the most definitive library of social change films in one place on the internet, available to watch for free or for a few dollars. With this in mind, we launched our own On Demand service in 2015, offering us a more direct way to help filmmakers earn a living while getting their change-oriented films out to the masses.
Films For Action On Demand is a complete or complementary alternative to services like Vimeo On Demand, iTunes, YouTube PPV, and Vudu.
Here's how it works:
- The filmmaker chooses the rental and/or purchase price (for digital downloads), as well as the rental duration.
- We help the filmmakers by promoting the film to our social media networks (900,000 fans on Facebook, 15,000 on Twitter and 35,000 via our email newsletter). We also feature the film in various ways on the site (which receives 500k to 1 million visits per month on average, who come to the site looking for these kinds of films).
- Filmmakers and FFA split the revenue 80/20 (creator/FFA) after the transaction fee is taken out (the industry standard 2.9% + 30 cents).
- We've partnered with Stripe (used by Lyft, NPR, Kickstarter etc) to handle transactions, analytics, and payments to film-makers, offering flexible payment options.
- FFA On Demand films are made available worldwide and are non-exclusive.
- No contracts necessary. Like Vimeo, we put all that legal jargon in our Terms of Service. You will always be in control of your video (the sale price, rental duration, and availability of the film are always up to you). If for any reason you wish to discontinue the service, or rights you grant a distributor conflict with us selling your film, you can email us at any time and we'll edit the web page for your film as desired.
- We review and hand-pick every On Demand film and only feature films that we are passionate about promoting.
If you are a filmmaker or distributor and would like to feature your social change doc on Films For Action On Demand, feel free to get in touch. We'd love to work with you.
How does Vimeo On Demand compare with Films For Action?
||Films For Action
||$240 for a Vimeo Pro account
- Potentially featured via related films beneath other On Demand films and via their On Demand homepage
- Largely n/a - dependent on filmmaker's efforts
- At least 12 shares on Facebook over time
- Featured on homepage for many weeks over time
- Featured on all content pages for at least 1 month
- Featured in email newsletter
- *Custom FFA promotion
*This is a good example of one of the more FFA-tailored ways we like to promote films. We took an excerpt of the film (in this case the intro) and gave it a compelling title, and it went viral on Facebook, with 126,000 shares, and 200k views via the on-site version. Here is an example using a clip from the film Samsara, which received almost 3 million views on our site and 17 million in total after the title and video combo was republished on a variety of other sites. On the more modest end, here is a clip we recently shared to promote The Economics of Happiness, which got 100k views on Facebook and 70k views on-site.
We've found this strategy to be an excellent way to drive interest in watching the full film and creating a much broader public awareness of the film and filmmakers. This is also the sort of promotion we really love to do - it's at the heart of our mission to raise awareness via amazing social change films.
Questions? Ready to get started? Contact us here.