About Films For Action
Film offers us a powerful tool to raise awareness of important issues not covered by the mainstream news. Our goal is to provide citizens of the world with the information and perspectives essential to creating a more just, sustainable, and democratic society.
Our website has cataloged over 3000 of the best films and videos that can be watched free online, sorted into 40 subjects related to changing the world. And, since there's still so much to learn about that isn't featured in a film, we've also cataloged a fair amount of articles, too.
New to the site?
There are a few great ways to dive in. You can start with our (world famous??) Wall of Films, which is a fun way to browse the 400 best documentaries on the site, with the most viewed at the top.
Our list of Top 100 activist documentaries, rated by our site members, is also super quality. We also made a list of the "top 100 documentaries we can use to change the world" in 2015.
Looking to be inspired and see more beauty in the world? Check out this visionary list of 90 films.
Since our site acts as an online library, you can sort our videos by most viewed, top rated, or newest first.
You can also filter videos by topics such as food, sustainability, economics, solutions or big ideas. Check out the left-hand side of our library for other filtering options, like language and country.
We've also picked our favorite 'films for action' from 2014, 2013, 2012, and 2011.
Join 'team transition'
Create an account on Films For Action
and join our growing community of people who want to change the world!
27,000+ Site Members | 640,000+ Facebook Friends | 12,000 Twitter Friends
As a member of the website you can:
1. Add content to our digital social change library
(Using a link from sites
like Youtube or Vimeo)
(Republished from another
website or written by you)
(Articles with a
"take action" focus)
2. Rate member submissions
We encourage rating content based on its shareability (how useful it is for raising awareness)
5 stars if you'd shared it multiple times over time
4 stars if you'd definitely share it once
3 stars if you might not share it - limited use or certain friends only
2 stars if you wouldn't share it
1 star if it isn't right for the site and should be hidden
With the community's help, we'll select the best submissions
and share them across our networks (Facebook, Twitter etc).
3. Share quick links from any site, post status updates,
and upload image memes or photos to our community stream.
Questions? Feel free to contact us.
Tips for Adding Content
Our general guideline is: only add the best of the best, and filter out the rest.
We want Films For Action to be a clearinghouse for the ideas, knowledge and perspectives essential to creating a more just and sustainable world.
Before posting something, use the search bar above to type the first couple words of the title for the content you want to add to make sure someone hasn't already added it.
NEW: Content can now be submitted in any language! (Simply tag your submission with the correct language when you add the content.)
We look for content that:
- Has a long "shelf-life," containing information and ideas that will remain relevant and useful for people browsing the archives of the subject tag(s) that the content was filed under (months or ideally years later)
- Cover the progress of progressive social & environmental activist movements
- Is of general global interest, regardless of where the person lives
- Has the potential to go viral with a large audience (5 star content)
- Focus on the root problems that affect social progress and the main bottlenecks impeding change
- Has been ignored, censored, misrepresented, or under-covered by the corporate media
- Focus on the root solutions that will break the bottlenecks, getting right to the root problems
- Cover stories of people living and building the world they want, now
- Are fairly non-partisan and avoids unnecessary antagonism, divisionary rhetoric, fear-mongering, hype, etc
- Expands our ability to experience universal empathy and compassion for all people and the planet, and avoids appeals that reinforce artificial divisions (including nationality, political affiliation, race, culture, religion, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, immigrant status, etc)
- Do not rely on over-the-top, in-your-face emotional appeals or hyperbolic presentation to make thier points.
- Offers a fresh or alternative perspective that steps outside of the established "frame" of debate
- Is incredibly well made or well written - If the ideas are great but the presentation is poor, find the content in a form that makes the same points but with a more polished, engaging and entertaining presentation
- Is intellectually honest
- Cover issues that people can take action on