Snappy Anarchistic Rant Three
By Class unity / filmsforaction.org
Aug 30, 2014

Class

I grew up thinking I was middle class, I guess I was if you accept the bullshit definition of class that most people eat up these days. What I meant by middle class was things like behavioural norms, an accent, tastes in music and clothing etc. Now A) as an adult alot of it just feels like its too much effort and B) I can't define myself as middle class anymore because I see it as a deliberate attempt to blur the lines and make the whole question of class come down to something that is barely more than a lifestyle choice.

Class is structural, it is primarily about your relation to power, both political and economic. Roughly 1% of society run things politically and economically, the other 99%, weather they want to pretend to be something else or not, do not. The rest of us are proven to have no impact on our government, we have to rent ourselves out to those who have money to gain access to resources to survive, most of us have to pay just to live somewhere (either repaying a loan or paying a landlord) etc. The 1% on the other hand are the ones who buy us, who reap the profits of our labour and pocket much of what we are taxed and they make all the decisions.

There is a very signifiant amount of practical lifestyle difference between a reasonably skilled professional in the UK who earns comfortable wages and goes on holiday and has some nice things and an unskilled Latin American working in a factory to survive on poverty wages but that isn't the point, its only when we realise that fundamentally we're all in the same position that we see that the fate of the 99%/ working class/ have nots/ lower class or whatever we're calling ourselves is bound together, we want the best for each other because it afects all of us.

4.0 ·
1
Trending Today
Revolution and American Indians: “Marxism is as Alien to My Culture as Capitalism”
Russell Means17,437 views today ·
History Tells Us What May Happen Next With Brexit and Trump
Tobias Stone10,261 views today ·
15 Powerful Quotes From the World's Most Humble President
Hyacinth Mascarenhas6,912 views today ·
MP Says Government is Intentionally Making People Destitute to Prevent Organised Opposition
2 min4,576 views today ·
Trump is a Symptom of Corporate Globalization
Helena Norberg-Hodge4,192 views today ·
An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth To Power
3 min3,904 views today ·
Welcome to Marinaleda: The Spanish Anti-Capitalist Town With Equal Wage Full Employment and $19 Housing
Jade Small3,174 views today ·
Today I Rise: This Beautiful Short Film Is Like a Love Poem For Your Heart and Soul
4 min2,920 views today ·
Every Town Needs a Remakery
Jeremy Williams2,918 views today ·
Load More
New
We Communicate Through Energy
3 min
10 things you can do to resist hard Brexit
Adam Ramsay
Trump is a Symptom of Corporate Globalization
Helena Norberg-Hodge
Up Close and Personal With Norwegian Orcas
2 min
An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth To Power
3 min
Why Did Activists Chain Themselves to the Runway at Stansted Airport?
Plane Stupid
Rosie the Riveter for the 21st Century: You Dreamed, We Drew
Jennifer Luxton
Meet The Woman Rescuing Fruit and Feeding Her Community
2 min
Debating the British Empire's 'Legacy' Is Pointless - This Is Still an Imperial World
Ibtisam Ahmed
Load More
What's Next
Watch John Oliver Explain Perfectly Why You Should Hate FIFA
13 min
We Need an International Minimum Wage
Hamilton Nolan
Five Left-Libertarian Reforms Millennials Should Be Fighting For
Kevin Carson
Like us on Facebook?
Snappy Anarchistic Rant Three