Miss Representation explores how the media’s misrepresentations of women have led to the underrepresentation of women in positions of power and influence.
MissRepresentation.org is a call-to-action campaign that seeks to empower women and girls to challenge limiting labels in order to realize their potential, and to encourage men and boys to stand up to sexism.
Join the movement. Start taking action today.
The Issue by the Numbers. Click for large view.
- Women hold only 3% of clout positions in the mainstream media (telecommunications, entertainment, publishing and advertising).
- Women comprise 7% of directors and 13% of film writers in the top 250 grossing films.
- The United States is 90th in the world in terms of women in national legislatures.
- Women hold 17% of the seats in the House of Representatives (the equivalent body in Rwanda is 56.3% female).
- Women are merely 3% of Fortune 500 CEOs.
- About 25% of girls will experience teen dating violence.
- The number of cosmetic surgical procedures performed on youth 18 or younger more than tripled from 1997 to 2007.
- Among youth 18 and younger, liposuctions nearly quadrupled between 1997 and 2007 and breast augmentations increased nearly six-fold in the same 10-year period.
- 65% of American women and girls report disordered eating behaviors.
Sources for Miss Representation documentary stats