By Represent Us
Nov 27, 2012
The American Anti-Corruption Act was just unveiled. It's a gamechanging law that gets money out of politics, for good. In order to pass it, we need a million people to add their names as "Citizen Co-Sponsors." Will you add your name now to help put the pressure on Congress?
Sign the Petition of Support Here
The Act was crafted by former Federal Election Commission chairman Trevor Potter in consultation with dozens of strategists, democracy reform leaders and constitutional attorneys from across the political spectrum. It is a bold, sweeping proposal that puts an end to business as usual in Washington.
Here’s what the law does
- Shine a light on dark money groups and their secret donors.
- Outlaw members of Congress from taking donations from the entities they regulate.
- Close the revolving door between Congress and K Street so politicians (and their staff) aren’t trading their power in exchange for cushy jobs when they leave office.
- Foster small donor contributions through citizen-funded elections. (If we shut out all the corrupting money, we need to enable clean money. Because like it or not, it costs money to run for office.)
- Stop Super PACs and dark money groups from coordinating with campaigns.
- Disempower Super PACs while protecting the free speech rights of Americans.
- Expand the definition of lobbying to include all types of influence peddlers.
Here’s why it’s going to work
- We’re going beyond piecemeal reforms. This is comprehensive legislation of historic proportions. It completely reshapes our current system to eliminate the undue influence of money.
- Millions of people are ready to rally behind the same proposal, including all of the issue groups being beaten by big money lobbyists.
- Our movement is not progressive; it’s not conservative, it’s American. From Occupy to the Tea Party; Democrats to Republicans to Independents. Over 80% of Americans - liberal, independent and conservative - want to get money out.
- We won’t ask politicians to fix this for us. We’ll force them to. It’s the only way to get the fox (politicians) to put a lock on the henhouse (campaign contributions). Oppose us, and you will lose office.
Here’s the plan:
- Introduce the Anti-Corruption Act to the American people.
Read the details of the act here
- Enlist one million “Citizen Co-sponsors” (that’s you)
Congress will only act if we force them to. That takes political power. And that takes people. Your friend Films For Action pledged to recruit 200 Co-sponsors.
- Take it to Washington
Introduce the law to Congress with the power of 1 million people.
- Pressure politicians to Co-sponsor
Pressure politicians to formally co-sponsor the law in the US Congress — with no changes, additions or delays.
- Unseat enemies of reform
Unseat opponents of reform with a hard-hitting grassroots accountability campaign.
Huzzah! Pass the Act. Stop Corruption. Maybe throw a little party?
We’ve outlined the entire plan for Films For Action.
Once you become a co-sponsor, we’ll give you a chance to join the campaign too.
Ok, add my name