The following ideas were generated by the more than 85 people who participated in the World Cafe discussion that was part of the Economics of Happiness Summit + Launch of the Common Wealth Time Bank on September 3rd, 2012. We hope they will inspire and challenge you to make at least some of these changes in your own life and in your wider community.
1. RAISE awareness of the need to transform our economy, as well as potential solutions.
2. REDEFINE terms like "progress" and "wealth."
3. REDUCE consumption by simplifying our lives.
4. REPAIR instead of throwing things away.
5. EAT and GROW locally.
6. SUPPORT locally-owned, independent businesses over chain stores.
7. MAKE more things at home, in your own backyard, garage, and kitchen.
8. PRACTICE preventive medicine, exercise, and eat well to lower health care costs.
9. Take our power back and START producing our own local energy: biodiesel, solar, etc.
10. POWER DOWN by using less energy-intensive technologies, such as a clothesline instead of a mechanical dryer.
11. ADOPT a more compact development pattern to encourage walking and biking.
12. IMPROVE public transportation.
13. BUILD with local materials.
14. GET TO KNOW your neighbors better and develop informal networks of support.
15. MOVE your money from the big banks to local banks and credit unions.
16. REMOVE your money from the stock market and REINVEST it in local enterprises more aligned with your values.
17. UTILIZE alternative methods of exchange, including local currencies, Time Banking, bartering, gift economy, etc.
18. BRING BACK apprenticeships and mentoring as ways to learn a skilled craft or profession.
19. SHARE cars, bikes, tools, housing, etc.
20. CREATE our own entertainment instead of importing it.
21. GET INVOLVED in actively shaping the future of your community.
22, FiGURE OUT how to make a living by doing what you love.