Feb 8, 2015
‘ESAB-BUET Unit Face’ is working on the River Safety issues as their assigned program set by the steering committee and it’s a six months long projects to identify and analyze the tragedies occurring on Rivers or due to rivers. Their prime objective is to find the technical or engineering solution of these issues. Since they are working on this project from August 14, 2014, after analyzing the scenario the team is now working on the solutions of river tragedies, river pollution, navigability, breakdown and some other issues related to the environment and people’s life around river. As the simple but most effective solution of these issues is ‘awareness’ so ESAB is going to organize a photography exhibition covering all the life threatening events as well as its solution and the amazing beauty of river & people’s lives around river to buzz the people’s mind to conscious them about the harmonic beauty and safety issues of river.
On The Theme:
Bangladesh is a riverine country. About 700 rivers including tributaries flow through the country constituting a waterway of total length around 24,140 kilometres (15,000 mi). Most of the country's land is formed through silt brought by the rivers. These rivers and lands are the source of the livelihood of a significant amount of people in our country. They provide us fish for food, clay for brick, boats for transportation and what not and yet, they are the ones who have to struggle the most. They struggle for their everyday chores done, sometimes against the natural calamities like flood and erosion, sometimes against the human evilness like chemical waste dump and water pollution. And because the whole country is covered with rivers like nets and we depend on them for food, transportation and many other things, once the rivers are attacked, either by nature or humans, the whole country suffers. It’s time to put a stand for our rivers. It’s time to show that we care. We are inviting photographers to share with us the stories they have encountered with while roaming around the beautiful rivers of the countryside. We want to show the conditions of the rivers, the calamities they are facing. We want to peek at the story of the alliance of the people with the river and the chemistry that keeps both the nature and the people up and going. We want to feel the struggle and fights for their mere existence. We want to applaud the victory and triumph over the adversity of the nature. We want to show the world what the real problems are so that we can know exactly what we are dealing with. Through our exhibition, we want to raise awareness among the people so that we can all work together to keep the blue safe.
About the Organizers: ESAB-BUET Unit Face:
Engineering Students’ Association of Bangladesh (ESAB) is the biggest undergrad student community of Bangladesh registered by government and it’s the only platform of engineering students of Bangladesh. It has local units in country’s leading universities. ‘ESAB-BUET Unit Face’ is one of the most active units and the largest one as well. Since the inception this unit is working to connect every other campus lives to BUET campus to unite the innovative power of bright people and a dedicated team is working to utilize this united power to find the solution of social issues what may have engineering or technological concern. As per the steering committee’s 2013 – 2014 assessment this unit is going to reach the milestone of achieving the goal to make the young engineers one step closer to the social development issues. Find ESAB on facebook (fb.com/esab.bd) and see the profile here – esab.org.bd/annual-reports
Who can Enter:
Open for all Bangladeshi Photographers.
How to Enter:
The theme for this exhibition is “Rivers of Bangladesh”.
Photos can be submitted on the given theme in two sections
- Single Photos
- Photo Story.
- Photographs must be submitted in digital format. Only online entries will be eligible. No print or film submissions will be accepted for entry into this Contest.
Section 1: (Single Photos)
- There is no limit to the number of submissions. You can submit as many single photos as you like.
- Each (single) photo should be renamed as per following convention,
Participant’s name_Title_Mobile no
For example: Fahim Aziz_Happiness_+8801XXXXXXXXX'
- All digital files must be in JPEG or .jpg format, and must be at least 3000 pixels wide (if a horizontal image) or 3000 pixels tall (if a vertical image).
- Submit your photos & payment details through a single email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject of your Email must be in the format “Participant’s name_Mobile no” For example : Fahim Aziz_+8801XXXXXXXXX *Size of each photo must be less than 5mb.
- No border and watermarks are allowed.
Section 2: (Photo story) Photo Stories based on the given theme can be submitted as per following regulations
- Maximum Number of submissions per person:02
- Number of photos per story: Min 5 to Max 10
- Photo Stories must be submitted in .zip format as per below mentioned regulations Rename the .zip file as ‘Participant’s name_Title_Mobile no.' For example: 'Fahim Aziz_Daily Life_+8801XXXXXXXXX' Rename the photos as 'Participants name_Photo no.#' (e.g. Fahim Aziz_Photo.1)
- Each photo must be in JPEG or .jpg format, and must be at least 3000 pixels wide (if a horizontal image) or 3000 pixels tall (if a vertical image).
- Submit your story & payment details through a single email at email@example.com
- Subject of your Email must be in the format “Participant’s name_ Mobile no” For example : Fahim Aziz_+8801XXXXXXXXX *No border and watermarks are allowed.
- Sequence of the photos in a photo story might be changed as per decision of the judges.
- Each participant has to pay a submission fee of BDT 100 per photo.
- Payment has to be made through Bkash to the numbers mentioned below. Please note to earn eligibility for judging proper submission of entry fees is a must.
- Bkash Numbers- 01749286166, 01737805997, 01712141451, 01685900104
- You must attach your payment details (Your Bkash Number, TrxID, and the number to which payment was made) along with your photos in a Single email and send to firstname.lastname@example.org. Without payment details we won’t be able to confirm your submission. Clarification- Suppose you are submitting 3 single photos and 1 photo Story (Containg 5 Photos).
- Then you have to pay fees for 3+5=8 photos. That is a total of 800 BDT.
- Please send your submission fees through a single transaction.
- Submission Period Submission Period starts from 12.01am 6th January 2015 and will continue till 11:59pm 20th February 2015. No late submissions will be acceptable.
Our judge panel will consist of
- Din Mohammad Shibly ( Head of Academics, Counter Foto )
- M.R Hasan ( Documentary Photographer. Represented by Falcon Photo Agency )
- Jashim Salam ( Documentary Photographer & Photo Journalist )
Decisions of the Judges are final and binding.
Selected participant’s list will be published in this page after 28th February 2015.
Exhibition Venue :
DRIK Gallery in March 2015
Terms and Conditions:
- Only minor burning, dodging and/or color correction is acceptable, as is cropping. High dynamic range images (HDR) are NOT acceptable. Any changes to the original Photograph not itemized here are unacceptable and will render the Photograph ineligible for contest.
- Photographs that include sculptures, statues, paintings, and other works of art will be accepted as long as they do not constitute copyright infringement or fraud. When photographing the work of others, it must be as an object in its environment and not a full-frame close up of another person's art.
- By entering the Contest, entrant represents, acknowledges and warrants that the submitted photograph is an original work created solely by the entrant, that the photograph does not infringe on the copyrights, trademarks, moral rights, rights of privacy/publicity or intellectual property rights of any person or entity, and that no other party has any right, title, claim or interest in the photograph.
- The photograph must not contain obscene, provocative, defamatory, sexually explicit, or otherwise objectionable or inappropriate content.
- ESAB holds the right to examine the authenticity of the photograph/source material in order to confirm compliance with these rules.
- ESAB can use the submitted photographs for promotional activities.
- Selected Photos will not be used for any commercial purpose.
RIGHT TO CANCEL OR SUSPEND EXHIBITION
- If, for any unforeseen reason the exhibition is not capable of running as planned or any other causes beyond the control of ESAB that hampers smooth operation of the exhibition, ESAB reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual(s) who tamper with the entry process, and/or to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the exhibition. For any query: 01712 14 14 51
The award list goes as follows,
Winner- 10000 BDT
1st Runners up- 5000 BDT
2nd Runners up- 3000 BDT
Grand winner- 15000 BDT
The response we have received is already amazing. We hope this announcement will encourage more of you to participate. So, don’t wait any longer. Send us your best photos on the rivers of Bangladesh.