In the early hours of 8th February 2014, Kye Gbangbola, Zane and Zane's mother Nicole Lawler, were all taken ill at home in Thameside, Surrey. An ambulance was called and all 3 were taken to hospital. Both Kye and Zane had suffered cardiac arrest. Zane died later in hospital, Kye remains paralysed from the waist down.
The incident occured during the floods, which consumed the area earlier this year. Surrey Fire Brigade attended and found Hydrogen Cyanide Gas.
Zane's parents believe there needs to be a thorough investigation into the potential effects of recent disturbances to a piece of neighbouring land which has been discovered was formerly a landfill site.
Lawyers for the couple are now investigating the possibility that the house had been affected by Hydrogen Cyanide, as found by the fire and rescue team that attended the incident. Hydrogen Cyanide is a colourless gas, which has in the past been linked to historic landfill sites.
Mr Gbangbola's lawyer Vijay Ganapathy, from law firm Leigh Day, said:
"There seems to have been a rush to judgement that this was Carbon Monoxide poisoning. There is a possibility that floodwater could have come through the contaminated land and into Mr Gbangbola's house. We understand that the presence of Hydrogen Cyanide necessitated the clearance of neighbouring properties and a public health warning for those in the area feeling unwell to seek urgent medical assistance. If this is the case then many more people could be at risk and a full investigation of the ex landfill site needs to be undertaken as a priority"
Zane's parents would like anyone with information to speak to Leigh Day in confidence, it is essential agencies that are meant to protect the public do the right thing. Walls of silence and misinformation are unhelpful to finding the Truth About Zane, and protecting those at risk. Do not allow a child's death to be swept under the carpet.
Please sign the petition here.