By Mark George
Dec 28, 2015
While blind dates used to be the exception, they have now become the norm. That’s why looking just right on a first date is more important than ever. Sure, you might be a millionaire rocket scientist with a charming wit and nothing but the best intentions for each potential mate you meet. But she won’t look much further than your physical appearance for the first several minutes of your date, and when you think about it, those are potentially the most important few minutes of your life.
Think of your online dating profile as a kind of curriculum vitae, and a first date like a job interview with cocktails. While you won’t get paid to date someone (usually!), your potential partner is looking for someone with a certain set of qualities, whether she knows this consciously or not. Those qualities can be judged by your character in the long run, but before that, they are judged by your clothing and demeanor, just like in a job interview. That’s why we’ve made a foolproof list of tips to make sure you get the job!
7 Ways to Look Impressive On A First Date:
1. Outfit. Obviously, this is the most visible part of your first impression, so it needs to be spot-on. The most important thing is that the clothes fit really well—not too big or too small. Another rule to remember is do NOT wear a suit. While a suit may be the nicest thing you own, it is too formal, and won’t give an approachable, casual image. On the other hand, don’t wear gym clothes, such as sweatshirts or jogging trousers. Something like jeans, a well-fitting T-shirt and a blazer is perfect; alternatively, a sweater or polo shirt and trousers. Think casual but trendy. Top it off with a nice leather jacket if the weather calls for it.
2. Hair. If you have been needing a haircut, get one before the date. Make sure your hair is clean and coiffed. However, this is not the time to try a new look—you should look like your normal self!
3. Hygiene. Showering is compulsory. But don’t stop there: you should shave or trim your beard, make sure your nose (and ear?) hair is trimmed, trim and clean your fingernails, and make sure your breath is fresh. You may want to use hand lotion to make your hands softer to the touch, and even a beard conditioner if necessary.
4. Details. Boys will be boys, and sometimes it’s not easy for men to see all the important details that a woman will notice. This includes making sure your shirt or trousers are ironed, your fly is zipped, and your glasses, if you wear them, are clean. You should also put your phone on silent—she’ll appreciate having your full attention—all women do.
5. Shoes. Men don’t realize how much women notice shoes, and not just the ones on other women. Women like to see a guy wearing a pair of clean, quality shoes. Sports shoes and flip flops are a definite no-no for a first date, unless you are doing activities which require them. A pair of nice leather shoes, desert boots, loafers or slip on trainers is perfect. Choosing a quality brand of shoes, such as stylish Clarks UK shoes for men is a foolproof choice for a cool yet sophisticated look.
6. Scent. The cologne you choose is extremely important, as it should not be too overpowering or strong. Don’t apply too much, and don’t have too many scents happening at once—i.e. Don’t wear ax body spray with another cologne, in addition to a perfumed deodorant. A small amount of designer cologne will do the trick and get those pheromones pumping.
7. Accessories. When it comes to accessories, the rule of thumb is don’t overdo it. Only wear one major accessory, such as a watch, cuff links, necklace or bracelet. If you have an accessory that is also a conversation piece, such as an heirloom or collector’s item, that could come in handy as a discussion topic. Braided leather wristbands are trendy right now, and will show you care about your appearance.
Of course you might not get the job—I mean the second date—even if you follow all of these rules, because chemistry and romance are so personal and unpredictable! But you can put your best foot forward and tempt fate. The most important advice of all: Be yourself!